Just install win 7 via an upgrade disk? Go to activate only to find the you apparently select the wrong option somewhere in the setup? Don’t really feel like reinstalling windows again?
Well I have and if you are reading this I guess you have as well. Luckily there is a fairly easy fix to this error. Note: This fix is only if you have a legitimate version of windows and just stuffed up your install selection. This fix does use regedit, if you aren’t familar with regedit don’t play with it, as setting a value in regedit could stop windows from working(don’t blame me if you fry you win7 install)
1. Once you have completed the install and had your activation attempt fail.
2. Click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> right click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator”
3. At the command prompt type “Regedit” and press enter
4. In Reg edit navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE”
5. Edit “MediaBootInstall” and set value to “0”
6. Close Regedit
7. In the command Prompt window(should still be open) type “slmgr /rearm”
8. You should receive a success message asking you to restart
9. Restart, after you restart you should be able to use windows activation link
That’s it, all up should only take a few minutes and should work with win7 x86 and x64.(I have tested it on x64 win7 with no issues)
Anyway all hope this helps